View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Question about add-on decisions

To clear up the numbers w/r/t the tourney, the $50+$15 gets you T1500, and the optional $5 add-on gets you an additional T1000. In effect, all but the most stingy begin with T2500.

On the subject of the add-on, in practice I think about what the xtra T2000 will do for my M for the next round. If the add-on allows me one more level out of the desperation zone, I figure it is worth it. What I wonder is a) how many chips I'd have to accumulate in the first hour to be able to pass up the rebuy, or b) how little an improvement in M I'd get from a rebuy to make it not worth the additional investment.

It's worth mentioning, too, that this is typically a 100 man tournament, with 10 players getting paid from a pool of approx. $8-9K.

I am curious about the mathematical considerations in deciding to add on immediately. It seems to me it only becomes relevant during the final level of the first hour, or the last level before the rebuy period ends. For instance, one week I was busted on the very first hand, at which point I rebought. In that scenario, it would not have mattered if I rebought before or after I played the hand, as I would have been left with the rebuy amount anyway. That's the baseline of irrelevancy, but where does it go from there?