View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: I met a girl last night, she is a high school senior

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Her parents have done her a disservice by not insisting she work to her capabilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Her parents are letting her lead her own life. If she wanted to take AP courses, and think for herself, and learn more than one side, she could have. The only thing the parents should have done was say, "I think you'd do great in this class", nothing more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I don't have kids, but don't they tend to not always have the best judgement, often misplace priorities and look to their parents to help prepare them well for life?

[/ QUOTE ]

Insisting was the wrong word. I should have used encouraged. I personally would have encouraged or bribed....

Parents who think a 14 year old should be leading their own life are mistaken. They are just beginning to think for themselves. It is a tricky age where you are beyond the " Because I said so!" age and into a more subtle form of guidance where you leave them thinking they actually came to the right conclusion on their own. Very tricky...

[/ QUOTE ]

Parents forcing high schoolers to do stuff really pisses me off. I don't know, my parents didn't force me to do anything, I chose AP(ish, it's actually IB) for myself. They never talked to me about drugs, I don't do drugs. Etc etc etc

I find it amazing, the amount of students in my college classes that still can't think for themselves.