View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 11:07 PM

Default The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem

I just finished this book, and was hoping some others who have read it will want to talk about it. This thread will contain spoilers .

My biggest issue with the book right now is that it seems to be broken into 3 distinct parts, and I only really enjoyed the first part. The depiction of 70s Brooklyn was fascinating, and I really found all the characters interesting. But, not only did the story get stranger as time went by, I also found that the characters became much less interesting. Dylan as an adult was didn't feel like the same kid I'd been reading about, I no longer even found myself rooting for him. He went from being atypical to almost stereotypical. The middle part of the book which really introduced both the superpowers and the sexual relationship between Dylan and Mingus was more interesting than the adult years, but still felt weird and somewhat forced.
I know my comments about the book make it sound like I didn't really enjoy it, but that is only because the second half of the book let me down. At the 200 page mark I felt like I was reading a book I was going to think about and enjoy for a long long time.
Any thoughts?