View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: On being a \"poker snob\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The money doesn't matter a bit to me, it's losing itself. I hate losing in poker, regardless of the stakes. I especially hate losing to inferior competition. They may be taking the game for fun, but I guarantee you someone at that table is thinking "[Insert random HG donk] never plays and just beat AC who plays all the time".

It sickens me to even think that might occur. Don't ask me why, it's like a switch I can't turn off.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't play poker with this attitude. You will lose sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. The very best odds in poker will still means someone will get their cards 1/6 of the time when you completely "dominate" them. Thats over a huge number of cards too, where the numbers even out. Add in the true randomness of how the cards fall in the short term and you'll be doing a lot of losing. The only thing that should get to you is bad play on your part. That should make you mad because you knew better and made a bad decision anyway.

If that wasn't the case opponents would never even sit down. Would you play heads up chess vs Kasparov (or better yet Deep Junior) for money?

grunch
I say do whatever it takes to keep your game sharp and play in games that are worth it to you. As an analogy I work in the computer field, software. So when I get a call from someone needing assistance with a computer I tell them to call support, it's not worth my time. Not trying to be a dick, but my time is valuable to me. But if it's something that rewards me, like a relationship, then yes I'll do it. It's all about motivation. If it's joe schmoe neighbor having a problem tough [censored]. If it's girl next door with doe eyes, well that's a different story.