View Single Post
Old 11-16-2006, 11:49 AM

Default beginners question about the rich dad poor dad book

ok,so i know very very little about money,investing,finance,etc,but since i'm making a decent amount of money from poker i figured it was time to start trying to learn a little...

so i went out today and bought three books,the automatic millionaire,rich dad poor dad (both of which i'd seen recommended in the sticky on this forum) and another personal finance book specific to ireland,where i live...

anyway,i just read the introduction to rich dad poor dad,and it contains the following sentence:

"for any accountants who read this book,suspend your academic book knowledge and open your mind to the theories robert presents.although many of them challenge the very fundamentals of generally accepted accounting principles..."

it was around here that i stopped reading...
basically,this sounds very fishy to me...
so i'm wondering if someone who knows about this sort of thing can tell me if the books is worth reading for me

basically,i have a decent income from poker,which is even more decent since i don't have to pay tax on it,and i would like to learn the basics of investing and saving since i have just been spending all the money i've made so far.

however,i am not interested in some sort of miracle cure,get rich quick scheme,or trying to set up huge corporations or whatever-i want to learn about the basics of fairly low risk,solid savings and investments...

should i keep reading,and if not,what should i read?