View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: announcement about florida poker tomorrow?

It doesn't look to me like they're shrinking the poker hours. The Mayo column says, in part:

"According to the October compact draft, the Seminoles said their poker rooms would adhere to state rules when it came to 'hours of operation, wagers and pot sizes.' If this provision stayed in, it would tick off plenty of insomniac poker players."

Mayo was discussing the draft compact, not the final version. Indeed, it looks like the provision about hours was struck in the negotiations; the final compact instead states, in Part V, Subpart L:

"The Tribe presently conducts and shall continue to conduct poker in each of its Facilities in compliance with provisions of Florida law, including provisions that limit wagers and pot sizes."

Note it says they will comply with "provisions" of the law, not the law in whole; and it only cites provisions relating to wagers and pot sizes. They're not agreeing to comply with limits on hours and, importantly, it's not clear to me they're agreeing to limits on buy-in either (just wagers and pot sizes).

Is my read right that they are freed from the buy-in limit, or are the limits on buy-in covered by (1) the statement that the tribe is and will continue to comply with some provisions of the law, as that is one they currently comply with, or (2) the notion that a limit on buy-in is an implicit limit on bet or pot size?