View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Moving to LA to play pro @ commerce? (long)

Heisenb3rg -

You should PM Andy Fox/PJ/Mike L/Donkey/Ryno, etc for some insight as well, its good to make friends with your 2+2 peers in real life. a few brief notes (not a lit of time to post a long thread, sorry)

1) Your going to crush the games in LA, no questions asked.
2) Playing live after playing online for so long is often a liberating experience.
3) Downswings live suck. I mean the really suck. Any bad feeling you ever had about swinging down online will be magnified because its so hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
4) I am playing on a short bankroll now just like you are, in fact its so short that I stopped playing at my former limits live (40/80 to 60/120 average) and now only play lower-mid limit games live in the 8/16-15/30 range. I realized I cannot mentally fade the variance as well as I could playing 5/10 - 10/20 short handed online, so I re-routed my money to play online and kept only 100 or so BB for live games. every one is different, find the perfect balance for yourself - dont quit playing online!

5) LA taxes suck, they are very high. The realestate rental market is stable, but you wont find the quality of housing you are used to for similar prices. Driving in LA makes me want to slit my wrists. Groceries are expensive, but the wine is cheep and plentiful because its made in-state. Everyone in LA is a celeb, works in the industry, is sleeping with someone in the industry, or is a star-f**ker... you can choose to embrace that mentality or allow it to slowly get under your skin.

My advice - give it a shot for 3 months. Also consider playing in some bigger games if you can handle the swings and have the extra bank to make it happen, you will do just fine in 100/200 with your skill set.