View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Quick question for pro life people.

phil:[ QUOTE ]
My justification for suicide prevention is that the vast majority of suicides, if given a clear mind or eternity to think about the choice, would not choose to kill themselves.

[/ QUOTE ] It's an easy way out. If they were given an eternity to think about it, they would have probably already taken the harder way out. No sense killing yourself when you are already out. Do you think drug addicts would take drugs if given a clear mind and an eternity to think about it? Alcoholics drink beer? Fat people eat hamburgers and candy? If no, does that mean we should take the choice away from them?

deuces:[ QUOTE ]
The majority of people who kill themselves are suffering from depression. Most depressions are simply a physical malfunction of certain chemical inhibitors and receptors in the brain and their function.

So we can agree that rationally thinking people should of course be allowed to kill themselves. But its rare that wanting to kill yourself when otherwise healthy is a rational choice. Mostly it is a sign of strong depression. So there is your catch-22.

[/ QUOTE ] Same problem here. I'm overweight and I crave sweets. It's because of certain chemical inhibitors and receptors in my brain, I don't really want to eat candy. (I do, but not by what I peircivie as your definition.) So should I be stopped?