View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: What\'s a good low-resource firewall?

I can't say enough good things about Kaspersky Internet Security. It's amazing the kind of traffic that loads up just in normal operations. For instance, running my mouse down my list of favorite sites loads up something related to my CD burning program. What's up with that? The amount of control this thing gives you over your computer is unmatched by any program I've seen. It's very unobtrusive, doesn't use much in resources, and operates in the background scanning startup programs, updating itself, etc. without affecting the games I'm in or anything else I'm doing. I haven't seen a banner ad on this site since installing it either.

The only negative is occasionally it does seem to affect certain sites that use a flash media player like movie trailers but it's easy to pause and reload protection. It also seems to block avatars here and there so I'm guessing in both cases the banner ad blocker may be overly aggressive. Some people might be annoyed at all the prompts as you "train" it what to load and what to avoid but I like the control it gives me and I know nothing's getting out of this computer without my permission. Otherwise you can set it to the lower security level and let it make the decisions. With the kind of money we splash around online, $90 isn't a lot for that kind of peace of mind. They have a 30 day trial.