View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Are There Any Atheists Who Believe in Rushes?

I have no doubt in my mind that you could find people who claimed to be Atheists, while at the same time claiming to be psychic, precognitive, etc. I'm inclined to say that in some sense these people aren't 'true' atheists, but it doesn't seem to amount to much more than a quibbling over definitions.

I suppose even someone who adopted a hardline atheist position could claim to be psychic and be internally consistent... depending on how he justified his belief. He might claim that there are laws of physics which have not yet been discovered which will show a clear connection between human thought processes and information about the future, using a type of anthropic principle to justify the necessary existence of said laws (he's a psychic, so the laws of physics must be such to allow this). You could certainly make a strong case that the atheist/psychic in question is an extremely poor scientist, but claiming he was not a 'true' atheist may be much more difficult.

If he thought he was a psychic because pink fairies visited him every night and told him the future it would be a different story.