View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Live $1/$2 game, tricky AA, 250BB deep...

Since it's a live game, I think your PFR was too small. Assuming you're playing with $5 chips, you can put out at least 3 or 4 chips as a raise, especially with 2 limpers ahead (who probably called with a single $5 chip, making it easier to toss in a few more). This should almost guarantee you position after the flop.

So say you make it $20 to go and get one caller (yes, I know everyone could fold, but compare winning a small pot to the position you were put in). Now the pot is bigger than the one you had, and you presumably have position over one player. Now you're in a much easier scenario and you can do pot-control since you have position.

But say you raised to $20 and the same scenario played out pre-flop (not at all out of the question in a live game). The pot at the flop is $60 and you bet $50. Now the button has to raise to $150 if he thinks you have AK. It's unlikely he has KK-QQ as he probably would have reraised PF. You're behind 99 and 55 (though unlikely to call $20 PF) but ahead of JJ, TT, 88, 77 and top pair. Since you're ahead of so much in his range and behind so little, I think it's easier for you now to 3bet since the pot's gotten big enough compared to your stack.

As the hand played out however, I think it has to be fold on the flop. If he really has trouble getting away from TP, then the 9 pairing on the turn is a big concern. 99, 55 and 44 are also well within his range given the small PFR, and I doubt he has KK-JJ. TT and 88 are possible, but I think draws are out. So it looks now like you're behind his range and should fold since your stack is still healthy.

I'm still a novice though, so keep that in mind...