View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 11:17 PM

Default 100NL- AJs in SB, SPR Question

Here is a hand in which I thought about SPR. We have a late position limp and call and I have a decent hand that is ahead both of their ranges. You would expect a raise from QQ+,AQ+ in LP, so I am unlikely to be dominated. I have no reads on either villain yet (I've only been at the table for two rounds), so I'll assume they are average. Obviously the button is very short here, but he really doesn't have to have much to limp here. Often he will fold if I raise, and if he does call PF then he will have to fold most flops. The only thing I worry about is getting committed with a c-bet where I have to call.

Against MP3 I think an SPR of about 4 would be perfect and probably very achievable. I could commit on a J high flop, most A high flops, and we will likely fold to most c-bets.

If I raise to $5 here and both players call my SPRs will be
MP3: 3.3
Button: 1.2

If only MP3 calls (which I think likely) then we will have an SPR of 5.

This seems to be a good middle ground for a raise and has the potential for a nice payoff if MP3 calls with a dominated type hand. My only fear is the button, who I might get committed against and cost me a little more to make this play than I like. Of course, I don't have to c-bet if the board is unfavorable- I'm still in a nice position stack wise if I can achieve these SPRs.

The alternative is just to complete which might be the best option, especially since I'll be playing the hand OOP. However, I'll have a terrible SPR of 14 against MP3, which I don't like. On the flip side, it's a cheap flop and I can get away if someone shows some real strength.

I'm still trying to think through target SPR situations PF. I think the concept has a great deal of potential, but I know I'm not even close to applying it correctly yet. Nonetheless, in a hand like this I find the options intriguing. Thoughts?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $39.85
UTG+1: $35
MP1: $34
MP2: $206.15
MP3: $59
CO: $98
Button: $23.50
Hero: $195.60
BB: $99

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
4 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, Hero ????