View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 02:06 PM

Default quick ethics checkup: are any of these cheating?

I don't really play tourneys often cause I'd rather make less swingy poker money, but a good friend of mine is a high volume tourney player and occasionally I will play for him when the need arises. After reading the thread about the bluffmag/sorel thing, I wanted to just doublecheck a few spots that I have been in recently, cause I don't want to break the rules, and I don't think any of these feel like cheating, but I got to thinking that probably a lot of people are doing unethical things that don't feel like it (ghosting type stuff). Here are 3 examples which are different because of the actual reason the account-holder can't play:

1. Friend is in a bunch of tourneys and has to go pick up his mom from somewhere unexpectedly, so I hop in and play for an hour. (also build up bigstack in 100r he blows, bastard).

2. Friend is on massive tilt from a few sick beats in a row, so I play his tourneys for 15 minutes while he has a jog around the block to cool off.

3. Friend is heads-up for live event seat and his internet dies, I play it out for him on the phone but he's actually saying what he wants to do.

The main diff between these is the urgency of him having to leave the computer, you know? Like in case 1 he COULD tell his mom to get a long taxi ride, in case 2 he could play on tilt, case 3 he is obviously in huge trouble.

Just wondering if any of these cross any lines. If it matters, we don't have a strict deal on $$, although he has given me some money in the past when I win money for him, but mostly it's a matter of jumping in to help out.

Sorry if this doesn't belong in mttc or is retarded. I'm not smart with the tourney scene.