View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: What Would David Say About This Remark?

I looked up the study...it's a single study, we don't know how it was done or where it was or who it was done on. And yet this is the greatest reported effect that anyone was able to achieve. You're basing your entire thesis on very shaky grounds:

[ QUOTE ]
The theory has generated a good deal of intervention work, some of which has boosted the achievement and test scores of low performing minority students.

[/ QUOTE ]
Has the same method been tested on low performing white students? Because you'd need that for a control to conclude that this is a race-threat based gap.

Also note this:

Looks good, right? Read the text up the left. These scores are SAT adjusted, meaning that the second bar graph shows that the gap is exactly the same. All this is showing is a negative effect when race is specifically brought up prior to testing, presumably on a test that has no significance to the student (unlike the SATs).

[ QUOTE ]
However results like these show we need to take things very, very slowly and carefully when drawing conclusions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure. But I'm not the one being ridiculously dismissive about the various components. People in this thread are falling over themselves to grasp onto anything that shows there is zero true racial difference in intelligence.

If the gap was 5 points, I'd say sure, no big deal, everyone is probably equal. If very poor white countries scored 70 or 80, I'd say sure, it's definitely poverty doing it. If rural Chinese scored 80 while their ethnic counterparts in Japan scored 110, I'd agree with you. If there was evidence of historical cultural achievement and sophistication, relative to Asians, I'd say that sub Saharan Africans are just going through a tough century right now. If any black country on Earth scored 100, I'd say, end of debate. In fact, if there was any kind of evidence of large differentials among the same ethnic group in different cultures and countries, similar to what we see between ethnic groups, I wouldn't even be discussing this. But none of the above are true. Doesn't that make you think?