View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Re: What Would David Say About This Remark?

OK, I will restate; it shows that race is not an independent variable with respect to test scores, especially not for diagnostic testing. You can't show racial data on test scoring and argue it's a valid expression of intelligence. We don't know what effect ST has on SAT test scores but it's wrong to assume that there's no effect.

Note the last paragraph on wiki:

[ QUOTE ]
The theory has generated a good deal of intervention work, some of which has boosted the achievement and test scores of low performing minority students.[11][12] Since stereotype threat appears to be one key contributing factors to the gaps in test scores, researchers Geoffrey L. Cohen, Julio Garcia, Nancy Apfel, and Allison Master proposed intervention methods to address the problem in 2006. The intervention, a brief in-class writing assignment, significantly improved the grades of African American students and reduced the racial achievement gap by 40%. These results suggest that the racial achievement gap, a major social concern in the United States, could be ameliorated by the use of timely and targeted social-psychological interventions.[13]

[/ QUOTE ]

Biology may or may not be a factor, I'm not convinced either way. However results like these show we need to take things very, very slowly and carefully when drawing conclusions. I think you are getting ahead of our understanding.

Personal attack deleted by Rduke55. Let's keep it civil.

edit: to be fair you do state that the diff may well not be genetic, I hadn't read down that far in your posts.