[ QUOTE ]
Things i would add that i absolutely loved:

Brave New World
Blink
Bringing Down the House
Anything by Hemingway
All Quiet on the Western Front

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a fan of a couple of books you mention, so I hesitate to give recommendations based on what I've liked. I do have a couple of general thoughts though, and they might help in your search:

This is potential several threads. Example: I recently got season two of Rome for review, and it made me want to find some good historical books on the Romans. But where to start? A request that specific could be a thread unto itself, as could every genre you mention in your original post. Also, if you broke them down by genre or other specficity, you could then give a few examples of what you liked in that category and why, making recommendations less of a stab in the dark.

Also, horror, fantasy, and science fiction are all woefully underrated and will not be represented well, if at all, in most lists of great literature. If you don't care for these books then okay, but I think that's a tragedy. There's a ton of crapola to represent these genres, but if you like good writing as well as good stories, then consider Robert Heinlein, Iain M. Banks, Robert E. Howard, H.P. Lovecraft, J.R.R. Tolkien, Frank Herbert, J.K. Rowling, and many others. Yeah I know the Harry Potter books are supposedly for kids, but I think that she is critically underrated as an excellent writer.