View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Cash game VS SnG

[ QUOTE ]

jeezuz ban

[/ QUOTE ]
Excuse me? Are you suggesting that I should be banned for giving advice you don't like?

There is an irrational dislike for anything to do with short stacks in these forums. You don't have to think it is beautiful poker to recognize that it can be profitable to play with a short stack, that buying in for 40-50 BB is a good way to learn, and that when you have a deep stack, the effective stack depth is often short so you need to know how to play with a short stack.

[ QUOTE ]

dont listen. You buy in for full stack and learn the game properly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jumping into the deep end first does not mean you learn the most. You may lose, and not know why you are losing. You may develop many bad habits with a deep stack even if you start out winning, which the OP apparently did not. You may lose your budget for learning NL before you make much progress.

As has been pointed out many times before, buying in relatively short (for 40 BB) can be an excellent way to learn to play NL. Many limit and tournament players will start out as marginal winners when they would start out as losers when buying in for 100 BB. The hand evaluations are more similar to the hand evaluations in limit and tournament play, letting you concentrate on other differences such as reading strength, betting lines, and bet sizing. You get to go to showdown more frequently and less expensively.

NL is not all about stacking players. It's a part of the game, but most hands do not involve someone getting all-in, and most hands don't even get close.

Here are comments by current and past SSNL forum moderators in a past thread.

Isura: "Buying in for 40bb is not really a "bad" strategy. It will cost a good player some EV, but it is fine to play with a smaller stack while you are learning the game. ... A lot of the advice in this thread is way off. People suck at poker not because they buy in short. They just suck."

The Grunch: "As a limit expert who switched to NL, I can say that in retrospect I've realized that this [A limit expert who moves over to NL will probably start out as a winner if he buys in short.] is probably true. I did not start out buying in short, but I probably should have. ... Honestly, I can't see how anyone who thinks about this can argue that buying in short is a valueless learning experience."