View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Staking/Make-up question: What to do with lower prize-pools?

First: I understand what you mean about being demoralized playing for "nothing". I also agree with those people who say it makes you a bad stakee - don't take that wrong; being a bad stakee is not the same as being a bad person. A good stakee wants to make as much money for the team of himself and the backer as he can; this means using your time in +EV situations. You clearly believe you are +EV in the $300 or whatever tourneys, so a good stakee should play them for the team. What you sound like is a good gamble - a player you can take a shot with on an event by event basis, but not someone I'd want to have a makeup agreement with. If I was your backer, I'd be asking what happens if your makeup gets to be 100K, and you get to the point where "these 10K events are too demoralizing to play because unless I finish in the top 2, I will get nothing" ?

Second: I'm not sure why you are so defensive in your responses. You came and asked what people thought, but anyone who suggests you don't get to do what you want (ie, get backed for big tourneys, play the small ones on your own dime), you argue with. You're really coming across as someone who wants to be told its ok to do what you want to do.

Finally: it's 100% between you and your backer. Whatever the two of you agree is what is "kosher". If he's ok with it, and you're ok with it, do it (whatever "it" is).