Thread: Ask a frenchman
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Ask a frenchman

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that the university a person attends has a great affect on how successful that person will be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, kind of. France has a system of "Grandes Ecoles" (Great Schools), which trains most of the nation's elite. Some schools are: Ecole Polytechnique (engineers), ENA (administration, public service), Science Po (political science), HEC (France's top business school). IF you graduate from one of these schools you are likely to have a successful career in most branches. If not, it's not impossible but you'll have to fight your way up a little harder.

[ QUOTE ]
What is your opinion of the Grandes Écoles and the students that attend them? Any comments about HEC or ESCP-EAP (although I know you didn't study business)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not attend one of those schools but I've met a few students from Polytechnique and HEC. It's hard to argue that these guys are indeed really brilliant. Brilliance sometimes leads to arrogance and being an [censored], of course.

I think the schools are slightly overrated. They don't teach you to be brilliant, they only select the most brilliant students, have them learn some advanced stuff, then kickstart their careers with great internships.

[ QUOTE ]
What do people think of your profession? Are your friends and family worried about your financial security or stability? I know that many professional poker players face these criticisms in the U.S., and I'd assume it's even worse in France where there is a bigger emphasis on financial security.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost all of my friends are into gaming so they thought it was really cool.
My family was skeptical at first but since I've been successful they don't bother me too much with it. However I come from a pretty liberal family. It's probably not that easy for players with more conservative backgrounds.

[ QUOTE ]
One more thing--where do you like to shop? I'm looking for simple clothing that isn't terribly expensive (and yes, I want to be invisible like the other Parisian men).

[/ QUOTE ]

Stores like C&A, Zara (for Men) and Celio should get you what you need.

EDIT: a question for you Shilly, what are you doing in Paris?