View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 02:39 PM

Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent
Default Re: poker lifestyle questions, managing your schedule

[ QUOTE ]
Once I get up a certain amount for the month to where at least my bills are payed I tend to get a bit lax on the discipline though and start letting my schedule slip or taking days off and that type of thing. Any of you guys have that problem too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit looking at your monthly results to try to minimize your focusing on having your bills covered. There are probably dozens of ways to do this--the simplest of which could just involve changing how you keep your results and records.

[ QUOTE ]
What I really seem to have a problem with though is when I stay up late the night before or can't sleep and slowly start waking up later and later. Eventually I will start waking up at 3-4 pm at which point I will try and fix my schedule by staying up as long as possible. Then it can REALLY get screwed for at least a couple days (like waking up at 8 pm).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the nature of humans. There have been experiments run where people who were deprived of clocks and other cues to time of day naturally gravitated to 26- or 27-hour days rather than 24-hour days.

Using medications for sleep is generally a very bad idea--particularly if you are making financial decisions, as you obviously are.

[ QUOTE ]
Right now there are two ways I see to fix it. Start using an alarm clock and really forcing myself to keep a decent schedule.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sure seems like the best approach to me. While you are having trouble sleeping, it is a good idea to "force" yourself to go to bed at the same time every night. It is also a good idea to fix your schedule such that you don't go directly from playing to bed. Give yourself a couple of hours to wind down first.