View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Interesting hand?

[ QUOTE ]

The J is going to fold faster, take fewer chances, and get paid off better. The 678 is going to win more pots over the long haul and lose more money. The A2J is going to win fewer pots in the long run but against hands like 678 they will be significantly larger.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with this, exactly, but I don't care which one wins more pots, or larger pots. Which one makes more money?

And actually I think A2J's vulnerability extends beyond the fact that it's a crappy hand. The problem is, it's pretty much face up. Sure, depending on the player it might be 23J 24J 25J 34J 35J and even some 6s and 7s, but if he catches low cards my only question is, did he pair. If I have 678, and my 6 is up (I'd prefer that it is, but against a J up I'll take any of the cards up) then A2J is going to be guessing an awful lot as to the strength of my holding.

I know you keep saying "you win at the top and lose at the bottom" but it's just an aphorism. It isn't exactly distilled truth. If we could arrange it, I'd meet you at a heads up table and have them deal you XXJ where XX are 2 wheel cards, and have them give me 678 every time. That's not a statement of my estimation of my skill vs. yours, I'd take that wager with any razz player I consider within my league (sorry, SG, TT, etc need not apply)