View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Re: The rise of the fundamentalist right in America

[ QUOTE ]

I loathe deliberate institutionalised ignorance like in those videos though. That's child neglect at best and abuse at worst, in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

As for what I saw in the video I loathe this kind of thing too. Trust me DB I really don't think this is common in America, at least not like that video it is not. That's just nuttiness.

But in the past year I've been doing a lot of thinking about this issue of devout Christianity, mostly because I have a couple friends and family members who are born again Christians. They take their religion very seriously, studying the bible 2-3 times a week, praying often. They are viewed as nuts and extremists by most people I know. They are not respected. And yet when I talk to them I'm surprised by how kind and non-judgmental they are. They are very concerned with the direction the country is moving. They are trying to raise their children to be deeply religious while living in a secular world. It's a real challenge.

I have a sister who is an atheist and she thinks it's terrible for my other sister to raise her children to study the bible. She thinks it's a horrible thing to do. Now I doubt she would ever say such a thing to a devout Jew or Muslim or Buddhist but when it comes to Christianity she thinks it's indoctrination.