View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 01:10 PM

Location: Victoria Station, third washroom along, behind the hot water pipes
Default Re: I\'m likely just a nit

In germany I have only very rarely seen situations where cops, ambulances or fire fighters are using the light/siren option to obviously get personal advantages at traffic lights.

maybe the reason is that turning on the lights alone is not sufficient to ignore traffic rules in germany:

- if they have their ligths on people pay attention and give them way. but as far as I know they also need the siren to have the absolute right to get way under all circumstances.

- if they have their lights on but their sirene off and you are involved in a crash with them while they ignore red traffic lights or the like then they have a problem (since you might not be aware of their approach by their lights alone in some situations).

- so basically they are forced to turn on the siren if overriding red signals. otherwise you can bump into them and get money from their insurance.

- now these sirens are nasty. I guess turning on these (really noisy!) sirens might be a little too obvious for a little cheat if you turn them off again after a few seconds

- also: for a lot of germans their car is something holy and most of them do not like giving up their right of way to anybody ... resistance might be higer here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]