View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: smp posters, do you do well in poker?

I'm not an SMP poster but I have took to reading/lurking the forums very frequently in this past month.

I'm still learning to play poker right now. I'm only 21 and have been playing for just 2 years. Though I see it as a hobby, my natural competitive instinct has made me win about £500. It's just been little things like making requirements for bonuses and then doubling/trebling them with calculated risks (playing fast in 0.10/0.25 games with $25, say. Nothing reckless, just gambles with money that wasn't mine to begin with). I also placed well in some freerolls and small stakes MTTs as well as grinding the micro-stakes NL ring games when I can be bothered.

Basically, I'm too poor to set up any kind of bankroll; if I win some, I cash out. I can't afford variance swings. Since I get bored anyway (I really couldn't play for a living, even if I was the best player ever) I tend to play so that I never play scared money. What I'm trying to say is that the frequency and stakes that I play at make it affordable to be a loser. But if I was a loser for too long, I'd stop, because I like to win not lose. I still give myself a chance to win some though.

Bah, can you tell it is 3:30am and I've had some drinks?