Thread: Top Chef 7/18
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Top Chef 7/18

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When you go out and tell them that today they have 3 hours I think it's just stupid to change it after the fact because it can create really unfair situations if one person picked dishes that NEED to cook for more time and others picked dishes where no component can't be rushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you and many of the chefs glossed over Tom's initial comments to them about how the cast of the Spanish soap opera is on a tight, unpredictable schedule. In fact, if I recall correctly he made numerous statements to them about this. Of course, all many of them heard was "you will have three hours to prepare."

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, I heard it. Obviously it was setup for the "surprise" but it was still lame. When I'm on a tight and unpredictable schedule I don't eat elaborate lunches with 10 different entre options. It just felt very contrived, artificial and pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way that little change wasn't contrived. Gaurantee it was preplanned out. That's the way tv works on these types of shows. The only wildcards are the contestants and even some of them they're predicting their reactions.

But it did make for an interesting situation.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
I can totally understand people disagreeing that it was lame, as that's completely dependent on personal taste. However, I can't understand how anyone thinks the time change wasn't 100% planned.

Whether or not it's a realistic thing that happens I have no idea. It seems weird to me, but multiple people, including those on the show, have implied that it is common, so I certainly will not argue. That doesn't make it any more interesting though. I'm sure that drawing knives to randomly determine what cocktail you will pair your dish with isn't common at all in restaurants, but that makes for a fun challenge to watch. I didn't feel that the time crunch scenario did, but again, I get it if some people do. I just don't get how you can think it was anything but planned.