View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Taking a break from Poker - LONG & Low Content

There is an old, hackneyed phrase that Poker is a people game played with cards. This is true, but what it doesn't really say is that the most important of those people is yourself.

Poker itself isn't that "hard". Compared to something like chess or backgammon, the level of intellectual ability, experience and study to become proficient is tiny. And yet the vast majority of people are probably lifetime losers. You are discovering why. The "you" factor is massive and no matter how skillful you may be, emotional and mental factors far overweigh technical ability, as followers of the slow motion car crash of Bluescouse can testify.

I am mostly playing mid *limit* games at present, 10-20 to 30-60. A few days ago I lost 1400 and I was mildy displeased, mostly because I had taken a bad shot at the 30-60 Stud8b. The next day I effectively won it all back. I didn't really feel anything at all.

Poker is best played in these states of mind mostly approaching boredom and apathy. All the shouting and excitement you see on TV is tourney donks, who mostly get what they deserve. As a general rule, the most successful players look and feel like they would rather be somewhere else.

gl

bdd