View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Amero Discussion

[ QUOTE ]
Ex-Mexican Prez: Yes, there will be an Amero

Anybody still think this is a conspiracy theory?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, like all conspiracy theories, that link seems big on distorting and misrepresenting the truth. Here's the relevant portion of the CNN transcript:

[ QUOTE ]
KING: E-mail from Mrs. Gonzalez in Elizabeth, New Jersey. "Mr. Fox, I would like to know how you feel about the possibility of having a Latin America united with one currency?"

FOX: Long term, very long term. What we propose together, President Bush and myself, it's ALCA, which is a trade union for all of the Americas. And everything was running fluently until Hugo Chavez came. He decided to isolate himself. He decided to combat the idea and destroy the idea...

KING: It's going to be like the euro dollar, you mean?

FOX: Well, that would be long, long term. I think the processes to go, first step into is trading agreement. And then further on, a new vision, like we are trying to do with NAFTA.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, he says that a Latin American currency is far in the future. He says he and Bush proposed the FTAA. He says Chavez is anti-FTAA. When asked if there would be an analogue of the Euro, he says that would be a long, long term thing. He says the first step towards economic integration is free trade agreements, and then later, maybe more.

Things he does not say: "Yes, there will be an amero."