View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Poll: best way to determine NCAA Div I Football National Champion?

[ QUOTE ]

That would be a nice upside to an 8 team tourney, but it's not worth the downside of giving teams like LSU/USC/Kansas shots that they don't deserve because they managed to hang around in the top 8. It would devalue the regular season too much. USC's loss to Stanford SHOULD eliminate them from contention (if they lose a second game as well). In a four-team playoff it still does. In an eight-team playoff they can still backdoor their way in, and that's bad. Bad enough that an eight-team playoff would be worse than the current system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who exactly do you think would make a 4 team playoff this year? It would be West Virginia, Ohio State, the OU/Mizzou winner and..... USC. Do you really think a Bulldog team that doesn't win its own division or an LSU that tanked at the end of the year would get in over Pete Carroll's bunch?

Usually, I'm all for an 8-team playoff, and I still think it's the best long-term solution, but this year, I'm glad that it's just the top 2. Every team's had their fair shot and it's made the end of the season much more exciting.