View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 12:59 AM

Default Re: An Unprecedented Time: Teenagers and Poker

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Very interesting thread.
I myself am a 20 year old poker player in my sophomore year of college. Last year I made 100k after taxes and this year I have made 300k so far. I love the position I'm in, but it can be a confusing one. I know I could make plenty more if I just dropped out and concentrated on poker. I am not one of those guys that Loves the game though. Sure I like it and it can be pretty fun, but the grind can get old, and I'm mainly in it for the money.

I love college and have alot of fun here but getting good grades while having 10k nightly swings can be difficult.

I think the main reason I'm in college is I dn what I'd want to do if I quit. Tons of my friends are here, I love going out and partying like a normal college student. If I didn't have college I imagine being very bored a large portion of the day.

I am just scared my mediocore grades aren't going to get me a job paying the kind of money I will like out of college. Pretty tough decision that I've thought alot about..

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly 100% the way I felt in college. This post was exactly me 2 years ago, scary in fact. I recommend doing everything you can to keep decent grades -- this is a great piece of mind to have in case things go sour at the tables.

tc

[/ QUOTE ]

Its awfully hard when you feel like studying costs $xxx/hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

sometimes its important to realize that not 100% of everything ever is measured in money. it keeps many things, like poker, in perspective long enough for many kids to do the things they want and should do, like stick out a semester or final year of college (I say this as a winning 2p2er and a senior in college, so its not completely baseless).