View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Ratholing and Short Stacking in NL Poker

[ QUOTE ]
I sent Diablo this PM and he thought it'd make a good thread:

For awhile, I have felt like ratholing was unethical, however I am beginning to reconsider.

If I open a table and there is one 20bb stack, and the other 100bb stacks continue to play with him, then that means that they support his right to play with 20bb's. If they disagree with the his right to rathole/play 20bb's, then they should immediately sit out. When you play in a game, you are essentially agreeing to the rules of that game, and there is no room to complain or argue. Its not much different in signing a contract.

What are your thoughts about this?

He responded:

Here's the thing. Online, players can choose not to play with this sort of player. There are unlimited tables and options. But people want the best of both worlds. They want to play the idiots who are the same type of guy as the typical bad short stacker, but they don't want solid players short stacking. Nobody cares aobut the idiots who are just pushing any two / any pair w/ short stacks. Those guys are donating such huge money.

Anyway, point is simple. Guys online have the ability to play wherever they want. However, they want to play with the fish. Part of playing with the fish is playing with these guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

i always buy in for the minimum and add on as necessary. i feel i play my best in a solid game w/ appx. 75-100bb's (i try to avoid solid games). if the other players dont call me out (usually when the game is short) i ratthole my "bills" at a pee break whenever i get over 150bb's. if there is an obvious donator in the game who cant lay down an overpair i play for whatever he has even if it is a ridiculous amount. the rules of any given poker game sorta float around. i take advantage of whatever is available.