Thread: Career Mess-Ups
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Career Mess-Ups

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're right, at times the Today Show could get a little sickening with the banter and giggles. But there was an honesty and ease with Couric that, well at least for some of us women, seemed like something we could appreciate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you feel at ease with the way they would devote so much time to the idiots outside the studio shrieking and squealing and waving banners about whatever backwater burg they were on temporary furlough from whenever the camera came on them? And then pretend to be so incredibly delighted by it, every time, day after day for years? I didn't. It gave me the willies. Felt super honest, and sure put me at ease. I've now been psychologically bullet-proofed for the coming zombie invasion.

[ QUOTE ]
I think CBS saw her as having mass appeal that would automatically translate to the evening crowd.

[/ QUOTE ]

That strikes me as such a bizarre notion. Could you see Peter Jennings or Walter Cronkite basing their career on being tirelessly vapidly bubbly? WTF.

[ QUOTE ]
But I guess not a lot of Americans are getting their news from TV sources anymore, and only old people are tuning in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite there, but getting there.

[ QUOTE ]
It's a dying news form.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently, morning TV is a whole different beast from evening TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Less and less so every year, but there's still a difference.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, really dumb decision on the part of CBS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
Katie Couric will walk away with millions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Her Royal Perkiness well enough I suppose, but who cares really? She's rich already and brings little to the table that a polished 19 year old can't. I can't say I'm interested in her next projects.