View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 04:07 AM

Default Re: Ask WhoIam anything about living in Vientiane, Laos

[ QUOTE ]

how is the climate and how bad is pollution?

[/ QUOTE ]
The climate is tropical, very similar to Thailand. Right now it is HOT. The heat in Thailand never really bothered me, but here it seems like I'm drenched in sweat after walking a couple blocks. Maybe I should start wearing shorts. It should cool off soon, though. Supposedly this is the rainy season, but it's been dry for few days I've been here.

There's not much air pollution because there isn't much traffic here. Vientiane is a very open city and there are plenty of trees.
[ QUOTE ]
what do you pay for rent?

[/ QUOTE ]
When I stayed here last time I worked out a long-term deal at a decent hotel (air conditioning, fridge, double bed) for $55/week and I'm doing a similar deal right now. I want to find a house or apartment in the near future. I should be able to find something nice in a central location for $200-300. I could pay more but I don't need 3 bedrooms or anything.
[ QUOTE ]
what kind of activities are available (like golf, tennis ...)?

[/ QUOTE ] There are a couple golf courses in the area. I'm not really a golfer so I can't comment on how they are. I hear there's a bowling alley in town. I've seen badminton, squash, and volley ball. I'm pretty sure you would die if you tried to play tennis in this heat. I've played a couple times when it was over 90 degrees and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

There's an expat rugby team called the Vientiane Buffaloes. I'm a little undersized to play rugby plus I don't know many of the rules, so I don't think I'll be joining the team.
[ QUOTE ]
what are the visa regulations?

[/ QUOTE ]
30-day visa on arrival for about $35. This can be extended for (I think) 15 days in Laos. If you want to stay longer you need to leave the country and reenter.