View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 01:20 AM

Default eBay account hacked, Stars is helpful

At 5:45 today, I got 5 emails for 5 Oakley sunglasses auctions that were posted on my account on eBay. My instinct was this was an eBay phishing email, but I logged into my account and saw they were in fact up for sale. I changed my password and started running spyware and virus scans.

At 6:33, 5 more of the same auctions were posted. This was definitely scary since it essentially concluded I had a keylogger.

I quickly emailed Stars and told them this and they promptly called me. They checked to see if anyone had made login attempts (negative) and then froze the account until I can secure my computer.

My spyware scan came up with a few things that I quarantined, one being a "password eavesdrop software." The problem is this came from a winrar download so it's a likely false positive.

What should my next steps be? Obviously I should change all my passwords, probably at someone else's computer. Formatting will 100% get rid of this? Will backed up documents be a potential hazard when restored on the fresh installation? Do I even need to format if I've run multiple spyware/virus scans and they're all clear?