View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Discuss: Thoughts on Overpairs

I had played around 500 hands with RP over the week and that is quite a lot in a live poker setting. I had never seen her bluff raise with air or raise a draw ever. She was as straightforward as a player could get. She would have smooth called with the hands I listed in my article (which includes flush draws) and she would have folded over cards (never saw her float and attempt a turn steal).

Preflop I had seen her limp with hands as good as AQ and even AK which I myself do in certain spots as well.

You might call this a possibly heroic read, but when I collect and analyze data I "go with my read" though it can be wrong at times. Go read the article by Patrick Antonius on page 36 of the Sept 26, 2007 Cardplayer Magazine where he discusses playing a hand by his "read" which as it turns out is horribly wrong. All you can do is collect information and make an educated guess as to the best way to play a hand. Even if you don't agree with my "read" you can still learn from the analysis.

Yes, a club on the turn could mess things up a bit and kill my action some but that will only happen 18% of the time. And given my read I would still be pretty confident in my hand. I attempt to play hands to get the most value across my opponents range of hands not specific to just in case they have a draw.

Thanks for your reply and I look forward to any more discussion.