View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: An offer of coaching/mentoring

Here it goes....

I'm a 19 year old undergraduate at Johns Hopkins. I started playing online around March of last year. Previously I only played tournaments with friends or in casual gatherings.

I started with a modest bankroll of $80. For the first couple of months, I built it up to between 400 and 800 and hovered in between that range. I ran really hot when I first began playing super LAG. When i stopped running hot I had to re-evaluate my game.

I took the next month or two off from poker during finals period. I read a lot of 2p2 and started trying to "learn" poker. I probably spent more time reading 2p2 than studying to be honest, it was a little funny.

Then the summer started - I was taking classes with few friends around so I started to seriously play poker. I started at 10NL and quickly moved back up to 25NL where I was in the first semester. I played about 25k hands and achieved a winrate of roughly 5pt/bb, so I moved up to 50NL. I played roughly 120k hands in the months of June and July. I won a lot, but towards the end of July I hit a pretty big downswing, in which I lost about 1/3 of my bankroll, so I moved back down to 25NL.

I did alright at 25NL, but lost the desire to play poker at a breakeven pace towards the end of the summer. I also went on vacation, which helped take my mind off of poker.

Now, I've embarked on my second year of undergraduate work. I'm an international studies/economics (dbl maj) w/ entrepreneurship and management minor. I like statistics, game theory and economics and try to apply it whenever I'm playing poker.

I've started playing again, moving from playing 9 tables to 6 tables, and my results have improved tremendously. I think I have a great mind for the game and I have the time and dedication to improve. I currently have a very safe bankroll for 50nl, which I plan to play for at least another 15k hands. My winrate has been steady at about 4.5 pt/bb at 50NL, but I don't really have the confidence nor stress management to move up.

My goals: I ultimately want to be playing somewhere between 200-400nl. I look at poker as an excellent hobby that allows me to enjoy myself and bring in extra income.(my only discretionary income at the moment) I don't plan to ever live off playing poker, but I truly enjoy it.

I've invested some of my winnings in a separate monitor, so I have a dual-monitor setup, which is ideal for multi-tabling.

I play on pokerstars and i have pokertracker, pokeracehud and actively check pokerEV to evaluate my game.

Thanks for your consideration,
Josh