View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Could you speed walk a mile in 10min??? Drunk Prop Bet.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to change my vote to impossible. Tommy Lee Jones can explain...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vNilnrbgwg

[/ QUOTE ]

Obv not impossible: According to the World Book Encyclopedia, an expert walker can walk one mile in 6.5 minutes. I am guessing the ratio of fastest walk mile to your fastest run mile is on the order of 1.65. There's no way it's more than twice as much imo. So, a world-class miler runs in about 4 min while a world-class walker is closer to 6:30 min (probably less, so 1.65 might be a tad conservative for elite racewalkers). For a 6-min miler, that would mean they'd be near 10:00 for a walking mile at fastest pace. People who are responding here who can't run anywhere near a 6-min mile obv will believe 10 min walking mile to be impossible. But someone who runs sub-6 min has the leg turnover and endurance to walk much faster than these people. And sub-6 min mile runners are not that uncommon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the attempt at logic to explain the problem. But I think you are probably wrong. My credentials, I was a "world class" miler and I can still with effor run under 6 minute miles, but I don't believe I have the technique/fitness combination to WALK anywhere close to 10 minute mile. I believe that walking at 6 mph without running while somewhat cardio-vascularly taxing would be massively muscle taxing to someone who was not training for it.

OUT OF CURIOUSITY-- WHAT WOULD THE OVER/UNDER BE FOR SOMEONE RUNNING BACKWARDS FOR A MILE?