View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Zappa Plays Zappa - Anaheim

[ QUOTE ]
I saw this show last month and it's probably one of the top 5 concerts I've ever seen. I'm a huge FZ fan, so I was really looking forward to this concert and it totally delivered. The band was one of the tightest I've ever heard, and I was really impressed by their ability to handle the more complicated numbers (Son of Suzy Creamcheese for example).

Dweezil opened the show with My Guitar Want to Kill your Mama and, while technically impressive, his vocals are just horrible. So I was thrilled when Ray White came out for vocals for the rest of the show.

Highlights were the Illinois Enema Bandit (I heard he's on the loooooooooose) and Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy. They also did a jam that featured each member of the band that was nothing short of mind-blowing.

I wasn't overly impressed with Ray White's guitar chops, but that isn't exactly his forte. His voice, on the other hand, sounds exactly like it did 30 years ago. The dude can sing.

I highly recommend anyone who can checks out this show. You won't regret it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the set list was pretty much the same as the recent shows, but they did one improvised blues number (at least I dont know it from the discography) with Ray White looking for an albino girl....there was a shrill screamer in the audience who had some exchanges with the band when DZ said he loved her scream, and an hour later she shows up in song.

The jam with DZ directing the band with hand motions was a FZ staple from the 70s concerts, and while DZ seemed to be "playing conductor" more than FZ WAS a conductor, the band did pull it off extremely well.