View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: I Need to Move Up To Where My Raises Get Respect...

[ QUOTE ]
is there some way to manually load these? i've tried google, and the best i got was a cryptic:

[ QUOTE ]
It really depends on your sound card and whether it has legacy drivers for use in safe mode and dos.

Yes, you could manually load the drivers in a command prompt if you knew what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This goes back to the old days of DOS and DOS+Win3.x...even Win95 to a degree. Drivers used to be loaded at boot time in a file called config.sys, and programs run in a file called autoexec.bat. This has all been incorporated into the System Registry and related Windoze startup files, now. Safe Mode doesn't load those things, but it allows you to provide a config.sys and autoexec.bat to load drivers.

One problem is that the other thing that doesn't load is memory management, so even if you successfully load the drivers for your hardware you will frequently be unable to run the programs you want because there's not enough low memory left. Another is that, as the above quote implies, legacy (or "real mode") drivers for your hardware might not even exist; you might be able to use a driver from a previous incarnation of the same hardware, but it's pretty hard to tell what works without trial and error. [censored] like that.

If I had your computer and a couple of free hours to work on it, I could probably get everything working for you, but it would be at best buggy and at worst too unstable to use. Trust me when I tell you that you could spend the next week fighting with it and not get it to work to a point where it's worth the time you've spent.

Give the Tech Support from your tunneling software a chance to solve the problem (did you actually pay for that software?), but if they can't then it's definitely +EV for you to just eat the cell charges and move on with your life.