View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: AA hands - 2 big losses - am i playing badly here??

In hand 1 I think you are betting too much on the flop and turn. It's a fairly dry board (he could be drawing with 78s, but that's about it) so you are in a WA/WB situation. Your best case scenario is to be up against AQ, and he'll probably call a bet with a hand like JJ/TT, but usually not stack off. Since AQ probably doesn't stack off either, you aren't looking to play for stacks here- you want to get the most value from the hands he'll call with. If you think he'll call 3 smallish bets with a hand like AQ, then try that. Another line is to check behind on the turn and then represent a big bluff on the river, which JJ will probably pay off. I'd bet $2 on the flop and probably about 1/2 pot on the turn or even check behind planning to value bet 3/4 or a PSB on the river. With smaller bet amounts you can get away on the turn if he c/r you, because very few players at this level c/r the turn as a bluff or something as weak as AQ.

I always am thinking about what hands I think will call and how much they will call. Even though on this flop you likely have the best hand, the only part of his range you should expect to get stacks in with is the part you are behind. Smaller bets will make this less likely to happen and get better value from underpair hands like JJ, who will have difficulty calling PSBs on multiplel streets.

Hand two is a totally different story. Your hand is very strong for this action and this board. People very rarely re-raise with full houses or trips on paired boards, so you can call pretty confidently ahead of his range. Even if he didn't move all in, you should be ready to.