View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: 50NL ak top pair vs check raise

First: raise to 5 is not a healthy raise. In fact, I think it's rather a bit on the small side.
As both villain and hero are deep, I don't see why he can not call here with say KJs or JTs. His PF raise of 12 indicates that he at least sometimes could raise with these kind of hands.
@Berge: I'm not saying that the most probable holdings of villain are not AQ (though I honestly think that calling raises PF with AQs is more dangerous then calling them with say JTs or T9s), AK or PPs, maybe up to QQ. But the problem is when hero not CBs here, how will this hand develop? Say hero checks behind a brick comes off and villain bets out, can hero get away from his hand? Does he want to get rid of his hand? Say another heart comes off and villain bets, how can hero know then where he is in this hand? He could be easily ahead and catch villain bluffing but he can't know for sure.
I'm truely not a big fan of betting for information but the way hero played this hand, he might have easily saved himself a big part of his stack because in the same way our check on the flop could induce villain to make mistakes later on in the hand, it can also induce hero to make costly mistakes later on.