View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Smoking Bans and Crimes?

Cliff notes at bottom.

I have an Economics of Crimes class. My adviser, who is also the chairperson of the Economics Dept., helped me get an override for graduation because I technically couldn't take it given that it is a 200 level class and to graduate I would have needed to take a 300 level. He got me into the Crimes class because he knows I'm a police officer, blah blah blah.

Anyways, this class has been nothing more than a waste of my time.

Every week we pick a topic, find an article, and write a reaction paper. And then the whole week is basically devoted to discussing that topic. We did Legalizing Drugs, Prison Populations, and Understanding Why Crime Fell. This week she let us pick our own topic as a group. One person mentioned how my college is trying to get a campus "smoking ban." Nobody else gave any ideas, so now we are doing Smoking Bans.

I totally disagree with this topic and do not feel that it is appropriate to discuss in this class. Smoking is not illegal, and smoking bans are policies or regulations. I have yet to see any article stating that smoking bans are a crime. What I mean is, with a smoking ban, you can't smoke and if you do, then you violated the law.

My professor just said "crime is anything that the government says is wrong." She wouldn't even listen to anything I said. I told her I agreed that it was an economic issue, but I do not believe it is a criminal issue.

Does anyone have any opinions and who is right or wrong? Does anyone have any experience with smoking bans? Is Smoking a crime under a smoking ban policy?

Cliff Notes: Analyze crime issues in my economics class, now we are doing smoking bans, and I do not believe it is appropriate for the class.