View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Help me with a big leak in my game

Another thing I feel I should mention, quite obvious, but important: If the pot is big there is a reason for it. Your opponents didn't give up, because they have something that they think might beat you. Determine what you think your opponents would call you with and see if you were right. I bet you will often see that when the pot is big they had a bigger hand than you expected and therefore you lose more big pots than you should.

The solution: do do not bet big or at all when you are more likely to be called by a hand that beats you than by one that doesn't.

Set over set is something that is so rare that you better not even think about it, because outguessing yourself is going to cost more than the times you run into a bigger set.

About raising the pocket pairs... If you have position (or most likely have position after you bet) this is a good idea. If they check it to you you can rep a big hand and if they bet you can fold (or raise if you think they are weak). These times make a bit up for the times you don't hit a set. Also a raised pot is bigger to begin with, so if you hit a set you are more likely to be able to stack someone. And finally the bigger the pp the higher the likelyness that it is the best hand. So any pp is good for a set (since set over set is so rare), but they still have high card value!

GL