View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Pot Odds Calculation - Help! - Need trips or two pair

[ QUOTE ]
(1) How do I account for the risk that he'll hit HIS third card?

(2) Are the risks of hitting quads, full house, straight, flush, etc. significant enough to warrant taking that into consideration from this point?

(3) Is this really an appropriate pot odds calculation in the first place, since you may have to bet/call/raise after the turn as well?

Thanks...

[/ QUOTE ]
(1)He has two outs for his third card. But he only has one chance at it since the other card would be your out. One card is about 4.5%

(2)Again, one of the two remaining cards to be dealt has to be yours, so it can make him quads and you will have to determine in one of your outs could help his hand. We need a specific example for this. It can range from not at all to several of your outs help.

(3)Implied odds are much more important than pot odds in NL holdem (unless you are in an all-in scenario). However, if you need the pot odds to make a decision, most decisions lie either well above or well below the odds.

(4)You missed question (4) which is a scenario where villain can also get two pair which are higher than your two pair. As well, the board can pair and counterfeit you sometimes.

There just aren't that many times where a decision is so close that you need to consider what you are asking. And on top of that, you don't know for sure what villain is holding so that introduces another variable which may be much greater than somebody hitting after you hit.

You also need to look closely at your own hand. You may have a backdoor draw. You also need to look at counterfeiting when you have two pair that are not top two pair.

In general, when you are in live play and faced with scenarios like this, you are usually thinking about the big picture like "I have one pair and a backdoor draw. Against an overpair, I have 5 outs. I am ahead of a flush draw. Against the same pair with a better kicker, I have 3 outs". At the table, that is usually all you have time for.