View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Emotional Affairs

[ QUOTE ]
Lunch every day with a guy sounds a bit much, but if every other possibility, every day, really sucked, I dunno. I suppose I wouldn't care if she did that with a ladyfriend, so it would be on the lame side not to trust her to be an adult just because she has a friend who is a guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I admit I would have a problem with my guy doing the lunch thing with a female friend and therefore I wouldn't do it with a male friend. Also, I think it would raise eyebrows at my office.

Now that I've been giving this some thought, I guess I can see what people are talking about. An emotional "affair" is the beginning stage of a real affair. It's going on secret dates and sharing intimacies and stuff. But I think there's another category of attachments. You can have a close friendship with someone of the opposite sex and still draw boundaries. Like not go out on lunch dates or give each other backrubs [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]... maybe just share intellectual conversations and tell each other funny stories.

[ QUOTE ]

It's one thing if you have a lot of internet "friends," but your real life comes first, and zeroing in on one person on the net, especially when you have one with you right there at home, seems to me unbalanced. Amusements are fine, but if you "need" to talk to someone and gain emotional sustenance from them, you should work on your primary relationship(s), not try to have your cake(your big fat cake of disappointment, that is!) and eat it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] But you internet guys are so amusing.