View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Cash game pros - lifestyle (and numbers) questions

[ QUOTE ]
i don't understand it when people imply that it's harder to have a social life playing poker than working a real job. supporting yourself via poker requires less hours and provides more flexibility.

op, one thing to keep in mind that i don't think has been mentioned is the importance of exercise. this applies to anything, i think, and not just poker, but it's no coincidence that guys like ivey and antonius keep themselves in such good shape. i'm planning to do the poker thing for a while after graduation and will probably put myself on a schedule in which i work out for an hour or two every day prior to playing a session.

[/ QUOTE ]

tannen, i think one of the problems with the social life thing is that alot of people are going to new places but bc poker is so unstructured it is harder to make friends then if say, u got a job with Merrill and you went out for drinks with all your other fellow analyst for instance

so, on top of the lack on an institution thing, there is the backwardsness of your life that will, (often) despite your best efforts, not conveniently match up with everyone else's