View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Re: 44 iso shove deep in 50r

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Live, this is a good thing to do because the satisfaction of having a bunch of people yell at you for not calling and checking it down, which they think you're supposed to do whenever anyone is all in, is +EV. Here, too risky, button could be trapping, you're iso'ing in a spot where you could be a big dog to UTG as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really worried about UTG. Im either a slight dog or ahead of his range, but if jalla folds there will be a ton of dead money.

i figure he could be trapping here with a big pair, but he could also be flatting medium strength hands since he doesnt wanna shove into me given my stack / 10 ppl left. There were a bunch of <100k stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree you're ahead of UTG's range, but my point is that you're taking a chance to iso and there are 60 combinations of pairs bigger than yours that UTG could have, so you're risking most of your stack to try to get into a situation where you're going to be an 80/20 dog a decent percentage of the time against UTG. In other words, I'd much rather do this with AJ or AT, where if the button folds I'm fairly sure I'm going to be live, and could actually have UTG dominated, so it's worth the risk to try to get heads up with UTG and pick up the dead money.

Edit: Actually, upon reflection, you have to be behind his range here with 44. Not by much, but you can't be ahead since he there are very few hands you're ahead of (by more than a few % points), and a lot more you're way behind. Overall, you're not behind by that much obviously since he's shoving a wide range, and the pot odds would justify a call if the button wasn't in the hand, but you're iso'ing to get into a situation where you're either flipping or way behind.

Edit #2: Just read this WPT hand after I posted regarding the benefits of iso'ing with AT:

Steve Silverman Eliminated in 10th Place ($63,233 CAD)

Jonathan Little raises 32,000 preflop and Scott Clements makes the call. Steve Silverman moves all in and Little folds. Clements makes the call and turns up pocket aces. Silverman shows A10 and the board falls K4285. Silverman busts in 10th place and he will take home $63,233.