View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

[ QUOTE ]

The part about Filipinos always being happy makes me worried. That means they never tilt. Actually, I've played with a bunch of Filipinos in Vegas and its true that they don't get affected by bad beats that much. I also noticed that they rely more on intuition and barely read poker books. This is good news.

[/ QUOTE ]

Filipinos are quite emotional people--after all, this is a country where making fun of someone in a karaoke joint can get you stabbed to death--so they are capable of tilting. On the other hand, there is a prevalent cultural attitude referred to as "bahala na", or "come what may" which results in a certain stoicism when faced with bad things. Being an ass at the table and getting them to hate you as a person may be more tilt-inducing than a simple bad beat.

Filipinos who gamble usually have a lot of gamble in them and a healthy regard for luck, so my guess is that you'll find less weak-tight players than you would among Caucasians and you'll find more tricky LAGs capable of changing speeds on a whim rather than design, who might jam a draw if they think it will come and fold if their intuition tells them that it won't. This doesn't necessarily make them good players, but it does make them annoying.

In terms of pros who have been on TV, think Toto Leonidas. Then imagine them as not as skillful, yet instinctive enough to often smell traps and smart enough to not give you too much action if you are an obvious straightforward nit.

[This is all psychological guesswork based on gambling with Filipinos at non-poker games. I'll try and check out the poker next time I vist family there.]