View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Re: hitting the ball straight

Lot's of good advice in this thread. Thanks for setting me straight.

It made me realize that I have two questions really.

The first one was answered well...basically don't bother trying to work the ball until you are AT LEAST under a 10 hcp as there is no need. This makes sense. When I play with 10 hcps and those that can just break 80 occassionally, they hardly seem to have the ability to work the ball.

The second question I realize is "what should my normal shot be?". When you are a bogey golfer, I think you could certainly have enough problems that you shouldn't blindly plug ahead with a "normal shot" that indeed have faults that could stunt future growth. I guess fundamentally I can't really think of any real problems with a straight shot and no one seems to offer and problems.

I guess my concern with my normal shot being a straight shot is that it seems more than a little unusual. Most pros seem to either favor a draw or a fade. In fact didn't Ben Hogan himself say the only time he ever hit the ball straight was by accident?

I guess when I play I'll just aim straight down the middle but at the range and at the range focus on making solid contact...and see how that works for the rest of the season. But will still spend a little time each session working the ball right and left.