Thread: Hole in one
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Hole in one

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere in this forum (didn't see it), but I found it interesting...

Summary: A woman who took up golf in 2003 has hit 8 holes-in-one in 14 weeks. Amazing.

From http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbc...=2007704280314
[ QUOTE ]

113,527,276,681,000,000 to 1

Those were the odds local golfer Jacqueline Gagne could make seven holes in one in 14 weeks. And then she made another ...

April 28, 2007
RANCHO MIRAGE - What are the odds?

If the chance of an average golfer making a hole in one in a round is about 5,000 to 1, what are the odds of that player making eight aces in 14 weeks?

"Until people started coming up to me and saying, 'This is kind of freaky,' I didn't really give it much thought," said Jacqueline Gagne, who has scored the eight holes in one between Jan. 23 and April 24, seven at her home club of Mission Hills Country Club and one at Mountain View Country Club in La Quinta.

Before she recorded her eighth this week, Professor Mike McJilton of the College of the Desert Math and Science Department calculate the odds of making seven aces in approximately 65 rounds (five rounds a week for 13 weeks) as Gagne did is just under 114 million billion to 1. As a decimal number, the chance of making the seven aces is 0.0000000000000000088.

"This is the wildest thing I have ever been witness to or been a party to," said Robert Barnes, director of golf at Mission Hills. "It's really unbelievable. It's almost like we have a ladies event now and you expect someone to come in and say Jackie had a hole in one and you'd just go, 'Which hole?'"

Gagne has gone from a true beginner in 2003 when she moved to the desert from Rhode Island to a player who just shot her career round of 3-under 69. That round included a hole in one, a 135-yard ace with a 13-wood on the 11th hole of the Pete Dye Challenge Course. In May, her handicap will drop to 7, meaning she's likely to break 80 on most regulation courses.

(Continued)

[/ QUOTE ]