View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Workplace Gripes – Vent Here! ! (or just share workplace stories)

[ QUOTE ]

I work for myself now, but the last time I worked for the man, I just refused to do performance review. They said there'd be no chance of a raise. Seemed like a good deal to me, given the lousy raises they gave.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha! I hear you diebitter. This sounds like something I would pull, tell my employer that I refuse to do reviews. Given my teeny tiny raises it might be a fair tradeoff. In fact, I think I did that very thing years ago when I graduated college. It was a job I knew I would only be holding for like a year and I wasn't anticipating a raise anyway.

I once told a prospective employer that I do not like meetings and pretty much refuse to attend staff meetings. (I told him this before I accepted his offer.) He thought I was a hoot and laughed. But I got my way. I was sort of selling myself as a contractor. Of course these days I wouldn't have the nerve to try that. And I SO HATE staff meetings. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Also: perf review is just a sheet they'll use to justify layoffs or no raises, especially peer review, so be very careful what you say about colleagues. One little comment like 'he's late back from lunch sometimes' can turn into 'your coworkers have been complaining you're not pulling your weight. YOU'RE FIRED!'

I'm not kidding.

I thank my stars I have none of that nonsense any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, I cringe when they ask us to do peer reviews. Who came up with that crap? I'm no more qualified to judge my peers than they are to judge me. I only want my managers judging my work. I HATE the old peer review process, like when I go out of my way to be complimentary and emphasize my buddies' strengths only to find out that they've decided to be painfully honest about my tardiness. I mean what the hell? Sheesh.